In summers garden needs more care as compared to other season. You need to water them daily, mulching and more or less shade for their survival. Summer gardening brings a lot of challenges with it; requires more time and effort for the plant. If you have small garden or planning to build one then keep all these points in your mind. Let...
In summers garden needs more care as compared to other season. You need to water them daily, mulching and more or less shade for their survival.
Summer gardening brings a lot of challenges with it; requires more time and effort for the plant. If you have small garden or planning to build one then keep all these points in your mind. Let’s start with the soil;
Improve soil quality:
- Best way to enrich your soil with nutrients add organic matter. It will provide nutrients and enhance the water holding capacity of soil. Add organic matter or compost in soil prior to planting it will improve soil structure resulting into vigorous plant growth.
- This will also foster suitable environment for microbes and beneficial worms which will also help in soil improvement and protects from insects and pest.
Best time to water plants:
When is the best time to water plants in summers is a question most frequently asked in the world of gardening? It is very important to know when is the best time to water a garden to preserve water and make sure the plants are getting adequate water supply.
- Watering plants at the right time is essential to their growth and water retention. The optimal time to water plants is in the morning, while it’s still cool. This allows the water to reach the roots of the plants as it runs down into the soil without too much water lost to evaporation.
This, in turn, makes the water available to the plants throughout the day so they are better equipped to deal with the heat of the sun.
- There is a gardening myth that watering in the morning will make the plants susceptible to scorch. This is not true. Most areas do not get intense enough sun for water droplets to scorch the plants. However, if the area you live in has intense sun exposure, the water droplets would be evaporated in the heat long before they could focus the sunlight.
- Pots and hanging baskets generally need to be watered more frequently than ground plants. You should line concrete and terracotta pots or paint them on the inside to prevent water loss. Keep your pot plants in cooler spots and place saucers underneath to retain water.